These waffles have been a favourite in my husband’s family for years. Light and fluffy with the added healthy flax, these waffles are great for a casual weekend brunch or special occasion. Just add some berry sauce, yoghurt, fruit and cinnamon to top it off and you’ve got a gourmet breakfast!
For those of you who have graduated through one of Fit Community’s registered sessions, you may have experienced one of these breakfasts at our end-of-session Community Brunch. Each registered session ends with a little food and mingling so we can get to know the awesome and amazing people who make our community so special and unique! One of my favourite parts of Fit Community: bringing people together and creating experiences!
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed oil (or canola oil)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks; mix in milk, oil, and vanilla. Add flour, flaxseed, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Blend well.
- Fold beaten egg whites in with the rest of the mixture.
- Spoon batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until done.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, etc.
Makes 4 round waffles